To assist CAR’s legislative advocacy efforts, we are creating a grasstops lobbyist network to establish one REALTOR® as a Key Contact for each Colorado State Legislator. Key Contacts will be activated and called upon at strategic moments to help influence state legislators on issues impacting the Colorado Association of REALTORS®. Click the button below to log into MemberFuse to become a key contact today!
Application Deadline: Friday, August 30, 2019 – to be considered for the 2020 Legislative Session.
A Key Contact is a REALTOR® appointed by CAR to be a grasstops liaison between an elected member of the Colorado General Assembly and the Colorado Association of REALTORS®.
A: A Key Contact is a REALTOR® appointed by CAR to be a grasstops liaison between an elected member of the Colorado General Assembly and the Colorado Association of REALTORS®. This voluntary (non-paid) position will serve at the direction of the CAR VP of Government Affairs, the CAR Legislative Policy Committee), and the Leadership Council.
A: Grassroots activity is advocacy where the entire membership is activated. Calls For Action, participation in REALTOR® Day at the Capitol and to some extent RPAC fundraising are examples of grassroots activity.
Grasstops activity involves activating specific members who have formed and cultivated relationships with elected officials to elicit specific decisions or actions by the legislators. These members are “Key Contacts”.
• Build and strengthen a professional relationship with the assigned State Representative or State Senator
• Learn and observe activities in the Legislator’s district that relate to real estate
• Become knowledgeable on all products, services, and expertise CAR has to offer the public and elected officials
• Become an advocate in the Legislator’s district for issues important to REALTORS® (property rights, smart growth, land use, etc.)
• Establish and reinforce CAR and the local REALTOR® board in the district as the experts in real estate information (stats, housing trends, economic data, smart growth/land use resources, local market perspectives, real estate related public policy around the state/country, etc.)
• Advance the goal of homeownership in the official’s jurisdiction for all residents
• Invite the official to CAR events and meetings when appropriate
• Attend CAR meetings when appropriate
• Provide periodic reports on Key Contact activity
• Recommended Key Contact investment of at least $99 annually to the REALTORS® Political Action Committee (RPAC)
• Act as spokesperson for CAR when specifically directed by Key Contact oversight team and VP of Government Affairs
A: Having an existing relationship with the legislator is a plus, but not a requirement. Similarly, you don’t need to be a member of the legislator’s political party, but it can be helpful.
The best Key Contacts are those members who:
• Care about their industry
• Want to be active in advancing our public policy goals
• Can separate their own personal views if and when they differ from CAR’s positions
• Are willing to be active in the legislator’s campaign for reelection
• Are willing to build relationships, even if they don’t previously know the elected official
• Have the support of their local association of REALTORS®
A: CAR will conduct periodic training for Key Contacts. This training will focus on:
• Contact management training similar to REALTOR®/client management techniques
• Tailored education of a Key Contact’s assigned official and their legislative district (market data, personality of the official, current political climate, past public policy wins and losses, etc.)
• How policy is made at the state level (State Legislative “Civics 101”)
• Specific tools and resources available from CAR and NAR to the Key Contact and to public officials (Key Contact Manual, CAR annual reports, LPC positions, etc.)
• REALTOR® public policy goals and talking points regarding upcoming issues
• “Spokesperson Training Lite” to assist a Key Contact with preparing and delivering testimony when necessary
• Information on where and how to look for relevant information on public websites/agendas/public emails/etc.
• Effective storytelling and advocacy to assist key contacts with strong message delivery