CAR Names New Leaders
David Barber, a nine-year real estate veteran with RE/MAX Unlimited Inc., on Monday was installed as chairman of the Colorado Association of Realtors.
CAR, the state’s largest real estate trade association with more than 21,000 statewide members, installed its 2014-2015 Leadership Council, including the chairman position, at its 94th annual state convention that drew more than 650 people to downtown Denver. The even ends today at the Colorado Convention Center. Marcus Luttrell, former Navy SEAL and the author of Lone Survivor, is today’s keynote speaker.
Barber has served in numerous local and state association leadership roles during the past decade including president of the Aurora Association of Realtors, where he was named Realtor of the Year in 2011,and Metro District vice president for the state association.
He has been a leader with the CAR Housing Opportunity Foundation, as well as an Education Foundation Trustee.
“I’m excited and ready to make a difference for our members,” Barber said.
“Since first getting into leadership at the local level, right through this new challenge, I’ve enjoyed the opportunities to work with my fellow Realtors and the incredible CAR staff as we collectively make a difference for our local associations and our members across the state,” he continued.
“In the end, I’ll look to measure our success on whether or not we were able to help empower people to do greater things for our association and our members.”
Don Flynn, president of CAR, welcomed Barber to his new post.
“We’re very excited to welcome someone with David’s combination of industry and leadership experience as our chairman and leader for the coming year,” Flynn said.
“He is obviously very passionate about his work and, with his leadership at the local and state levels; he has earned the trust of his real estate peers and our CAR staff, as well as the confidence of our membership.”
Other top officers who will serve with Barber include:
- Alan Lovitt (RE/MAX Advantage, Colorado Springs) – Chairman-Elect.
- Barbara Asbury (Peak Realty, Colorado Springs) – Treasurer.
- Jolon Ruch (Keller Williams, Westminster) – Immediate Past Chairman
- Bob Brown (RE/MAX Southeast, Denver) – Appointed Past President
The board’s main responsibilities include leading and coordinating volunteer efforts of the association aimed at maintaining stability in Colorado’s real estate industry, protecting private property rights, supporting efforts for affordable housing opportunities and providing resources and services designed to help Colorado Realtors succeed in their business.
Other members of the 2014-15 Leadership Council:
- Debbie Connor (Keller Williams, Denver) – Metro District.
- Jill Masters (Sotheby’s International Realty, Telluride) – Mountain District.
- Michelle Martinez (Premiere Realty, Montrose) – Northwest District.
- Terry Lee (Windemere Realty, Loveland), — Northeast District.
- Linda Richie (RE/MAX Properties, Colorado Springs), — Southeast District.
- Denise Storm (RE/MAX Pinnacle, Durango), — Southwest District.
- Julie Retzlaff (Slifer, Smith and Frampton, Vail) – Member Services.
- Jeffrey Martin (The Group Inc., Ft. Collins) – Government Affair.
- Marjorie Genova (RE/MAX 4000 Inc, Grand Junction) – Board Services.
Association Executive Representative:
- Katie Kruger (Denver Metro Commercial Association of Realtors, Denver) – Association Executive Representative.
- Don Flynn (CAR CEO/CFO, Denver) – Board President.